Login | Register

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

It is currently Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:03 pm

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 6:53 pm 

The editing is key and though it is work, it is striving for perfection not only for ourselves but for our fellow writers. That being said anyone who read little tiger prologue and the Little Tiger.doc I finally got posted new baby and all BTW she's gorgeous ;) You'll see I did a ton of self editing and additions coming at it with fresh eyes today as opposed to being tired and exhausted last night! I have read Wolfish Grin and wanted to edit it but I'm not sure what to do? Do I just take the story and add what needs to be added or do I read it and and comment on I think can be improved? I'm new to Editing anything but my own work so would appreciate some advice or instruction thanks, Ghost

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:04 pm 

Use the track changes and comments features while editing.

Ted (zuxius) used to have a FAQ page on how to upload stories, but there was a forums purge and that appears to be lost.

Robert Gresham has been published six times in Wayfinder Magazine, twice for PFC, and a half-dozen times for Yahoo! He is the founder of Wayward Rogues Publishing, and was a guest editor on Rite Publishing's Coliseum Morpheuon fiction anthology.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:07 pm 

But it downloads to my comp is there a way to edit it in the forum?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:06 pm 

no...download it to your computer and then open the document. Then, enable the Track changes feature in your word program. After you have checked that box, edit the story in rtf or doc format. Your changes will now be seen by the writer when you repost the story. Make sure you save with a new title that shows that you edited it. For example, "From Oppara, Ghost shadow edit" or something similar.

Things move pretty slow around here sometimes. When uploading a story for edits it can sometimes take a while for an editor to choose to edit you. Paitence is a needed virtue in the writing game. Manuscripts to publishers can typically take 4-6 months to reply to even a query letter.

I will give your story an edit tonight. I will try and get the revision to you by tomorrow evening. Then you can see an example of how we edit around here.

Now if only Zuxius would re-post the editor tutorial...that or acknowledge I should be made a global moderator again ;)

Robert Gresham has been published six times in Wayfinder Magazine, twice for PFC, and a half-dozen times for Yahoo! He is the founder of Wayward Rogues Publishing, and was a guest editor on Rite Publishing's Coliseum Morpheuon fiction anthology.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:24 pm 

Much appreciated thank you. I will add my edited version of wolfish grin soon then check out the oppara.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 2:27 am 
Site Admin

Robertgresham wrote:

Now if only Zuxius would re-post the editor tutorial...that or acknowledge I should be made a global moderator again ;)

I regret to say, that sucker is so gone. The forums were quite literally blasted clean by a keystroke from a Tech at bluehost.

"What you have done can never be taken back."

We will have to brainstorm the old system's virtues and then create lists and outlines to write a new and improved version.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 2:50 am 

Not understanding this reply at all? Did I miss something?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:28 am 

Ted speaks in riddles sometimes. I attribute it to late hours and strong beer.

I liked the old step-by-step tutorial on editing and posting we used to have with all those cool red circles and arrows...it was very clean and clear and I think that it eased newcomers into the system nicely.

The word count thread...while a pain in the but, I believe it fostered competition between editors and writers (ohhh, I'm the #1 editor of the month...or I have 60,000 words written here...wow, cool) I'd like to see that return and I did keep on on it when it was here.

I have some other ideas but I'll put those in our management thread.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:47 am 
Site Admin

The FAQ that Robert referred to was literally wiped out. You could say I got to comfortable with the site. I thought our pages would be here forever. Hell, my computer was wiped out more than once while the forums remained the place everything still remained.

Alas, they are gone and I have nothing left of it.

I will try to see if there was a word document that I put together and submit it here for everyone's inspection. However, I am not sure if it exists anymore.

Offline Profile