Login | Register

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

It is currently Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:57 pm

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 4:20 pm 
Site Admin

I would like to open this up to everyone interested in Anthology IV or Pathfinder Fiction Contest 2013 who have lingering questions. I am sure there are quite a few out there.

I will state this very clearly before we begin: We (LauraBow and myself) who edit the Anthology and Judge the contest do this all on our spare time and for no profit. If we are working with you, please understand we realize that your time is very important (as is our time). We understand you have a life out there, but this is going to be a lot of work. If you complete the contest and embark on presenting your story to us for the Anthology, you are basically putting a lot of work on our plate that will span for months and months, requiring many rewrites.

Your story will be refused over and over until it is ready for print. We will meticulously go over all of its positives and negatives and even ask you to develop certain points even further. We will make suggestions and when you feel it impossible to do yourself, then we will literally write in your story (to show you it can be done) with the hopes you will take the reigns and try even harder with "your voice."

There is no getting around this truth: we refuse stories under one criteria: if you ignore our requests and continually present us with something below par, it's out.

Simple.

We have lost stories that have been nearly 90% complete because the authors pull out (usually in a heated spat). The corny use of spells or perhaps a flaw in logic will not get by us and there is no compromise when your story fails to meet our expectations.

Getting into the Anthology is a major endurance test and goes well beyond what anyone would expect. If you decide to go ahead with us, be prepared to bring a major bag of humility and a lot of growing space. Some of our previous authors already know this but it is something that has to be constantly reiterated. We are here to create a real reading experience. I leave it up to you if that is your desire.

Ok, let the questions begin.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 5:30 pm 

Hey all,

Just wanted to chime in with my own two cp here as well.

While Zuxius certainly is correct that a lot of hard work goes into developing the stories for the Anthologies, please don't be afraid to embark on this process. Based on my own personal experiences on both sides of the fence, it is incredibly rewarding to be engaged elbows deep with another person who cares as much about the quality of your story as you do! We give suggestions (sometimes in the form of rewritten passages), but we also LOVE when people take those suggestions and tweak them to make them their own.

The goal of all this work is to elevate all stories to their fullest potentials and to hone our writing, editing, and critical thinking skills in the process. If you are willing, so are we!

I look forward to working with you!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:05 pm 

I have a contest question... Do hyphenated words count as one word, or as multiple words? My writing program counts them as one word, but I'm right up against the 750-word limit so I want to be sure.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:42 pm 

For the Sutter round, will he see both stories or just the flash fiction.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 4:19 am 

:D

And I just want to say that we really appreciate all the time you guys are giving us, helping us to develop into better writers!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 6:27 pm 
Site Admin

AndrewCrossett wrote:
I have a contest question... Do hyphenated words count as one word, or as multiple words? My writing program counts them as one word, but I'm right up against the 750-word limit so I want to be sure.

Sorry for the delay, hyphenated words are ok. I would ask a little restraint on it though.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 6:27 pm 
Site Admin

Scarecrow wrote:
For the Sutter round, will he see both stories or just the flash fiction.

He will only see your flash fiction piece...and only five traditionally go on to that round...so good luck!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 6:33 pm 
Site Admin

Kildarien wrote:
:D

And I just want to say that we really appreciate all the time you guys are giving us, helping us to develop into better writers!

I would say that my idea as to why I created Pathfinder Chronicler has changed a lot.

As a writer, I went in thinking a very simple philosophy: This is it! Time to prove yourself! Either I become an author who writes books or I'll burn everything, including my health, marriage, and time.

So far, it has done a great deal of damage to the latter but I haven't given in yet.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:07 pm 

AndrewCrossett wrote:

I count them as one word, Andrew! Good luck! :)

Offline Profile