Login | Register

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

It is currently Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:53 pm

Post subject: The Next Steps
PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 1:03 am 
Site Admin

Hello everyone.

We are beginning a new period for Pathfinder Chronicler. It will involve many facets but the big one will be for the continuation of our Pathfinder Chronicler Anthologies and our Pathfinder Fiction Contest.

The goal is simple, to get these entities to pay for themselves. In order to do that, we must step up the donation angle for Pathfinder Chronicler and get clever in how we collect our donations in relation to Paizo's requirement that we never make a profit off their license.

I have come up with a sure solution. We're going to make as much donation money as possible in our undertaking to deliver our books to the conventions. That is to include the costs of everything it takes to have a book edited, designed, printed, shipped and even driven to the convention.

There are also costs in dealer room fees as well as parking for a car, a room in an unknown town, materials to promote the booth such as posters that bring attention to our stuff, just to name a few. It all costs!

The question is, is it really necessary? Do we need to bring these books to the conventions? Is this getting away from our principles? Why don't we just give them out for free online?

Sadly, I have to say that I feel it is very necessary to incur these costs if we are ever to do anymore anthologies.

These things all cost in bringing our books to the masses but at the same time it is raising the profile of Pathfinder Chronicler and bringing even more attention to the group. Which I feel, is the goal of the website.

We are at a point where the art of Pathfinder Chronicler is becoming so prolific unto itself that I can literally sell the art from the books and make more donation funds than the books could ever make.

Basically, we have brand strength, if you will. Having three books and the art available has made us rather legitimized. I took more funds from posters than I did books at KublaCon. :P

However, I doubt they would have bought the posters without the assurance of knowing the art's origins. We received donations for two cases of books. I brought like eight cases but only two were snapped up. That is really, amazing. We made like 870 dollars towards our funds but moved so little in actual books. It really is a head scratcher but we are able to create funds for future Volumes in this manner.

I am now a strong believer that we need other bob-its and trinkets such as pins, bags, shirts and....good lord, coffee mugs (waves to Robert).

Such things conjure up the idea of marketing schemes or selling out to trinket-dom. If it pays for the Anthologies, so be it!

I will admit, I like the contest and the anthologies. It not only energizes the site but it also creates a very fine product. My feeling is: there are a lot of people that deserve to be published that aren't. They have the talent. They have the energy. They have everything it takes to be famous. Let's give them that chance to shine. Pathfinder Chronicler will only get more prolific in the days ahead as these conventions raise awareness.

Therefore, we are going to redesign the main site to be easily navigable to the contest, the stories, the donations, and the anthologies.

My theory, when it comes to donations, is that someone must always get something in return. It will be called "donation rewards" and will be our catch-all buzzword when referring to the website. Donations specifically go to all costs related to the current anthology being worked on as well as related convention costs later in the season. We will always have a future anthology to point to and push donations toward. If, for whatever reason, we somehow start making what Paizo considers "a profit," we'll just toss that money away into the contest as a form of "purge," if you will. The contest will then reward whatever funds we have over-accumulated and then form a bigger purse for the contest in the form of Paizo Gift Certificates.

As the publisher of these Anthologies and a major investor in the concept, I am resolved to stop paying in and start seeing the thing stand on its own two feet. I have taken out a separate business account specifically for Pathfinder Chronicler as well as a paypal account. I am not sure if I'll ever get my money back but I will make this group into something of legend if I can help it.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: The Next Steps
PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 8:39 pm 

Agreed. These projects should not be the burden they are. donations and publicity is the key to success.

Robert Gresham has been published six times in Wayfinder Magazine, twice for PFC, and a half-dozen times for Yahoo! He is the founder of Wayward Rogues Publishing, and was a guest editor on Rite Publishing's Coliseum Morpheuon fiction anthology.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 5:02 pm 

I think that is a great idea and look forward to this. I know I still have friends that are wanting to buy copies of the books and/or posters so yay.

And dear gods, coffee mugs would be amazing!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 5:59 am 

As someone who just join in, everything sounds really great!

:D

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 12:29 pm 
Site Admin

We'll see what is left for Coffee Mugs. For myself, I am counting every single dime before going to PaizoCon.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:44 pm 

I still have many coffee cups left.

Robert Gresham has been published six times in Wayfinder Magazine, twice for PFC, and a half-dozen times for Yahoo! He is the founder of Wayward Rogues Publishing, and was a guest editor on Rite Publishing's Coliseum Morpheuon fiction anthology.

Offline Profile