Login | Register

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

It is currently Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:01 pm

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 2:19 am 
Site Admin

Heh, that is what this site is all about. Everyone has a different edit to provide. Some are grammar. Some are story design. Some are just critics. Some are all of that but not a master of one or the other. We will see what we see.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 2:34 am 

Mine will definitely be spelling grammar and though guilty of it myself pointing out run-on sentences lol

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 5:12 pm 

I want to say hello to all the forum members I haven't yet been in contact with I hope to hear from you soon, BTW I've been a gamer and writer for longer than I can remember literally like six years old or something. My creativity has faltered some but is now back with a passion. Writing has become my profession due a disability I won't go into detail. Anyway I am writing avidly and hope to make some friends and new ideas, Brad Collingwood AKA Ghost Shadowcloak :D

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 5:13 pm 

we are happy to have you here! :D

Robert Gresham has been published six times in Wayfinder Magazine, twice for PFC, and a half-dozen times for Yahoo! He is the founder of Wayward Rogues Publishing, and was a guest editor on Rite Publishing's Coliseum Morpheuon fiction anthology.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 6:07 pm 

Okay... honestly, I don't remember if I posted on here before the site got modded, but it seems like I don't have any active posts on here again.

Anyway, hello, my name is Samuel. I'm currently practicing my writing in the setting of Golarion. If anyone could help me with knowing details on each country as I get to them, I'd appreciate it, because I'm without the campaign guides on each country (I only have a guide book on the Inner Sea region).

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:06 pm 

A good resource for looking up individual countries and other setting details is the Pathfinder wiki:

http://pathfinder.wikia.com/

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 1:01 pm 

This doesn't seem to be the most active forum around, but there is always hope.

I've been interested in RPGs for at least 40 years. Actively writing for much less. I have self published a couple of short books on Amazon within the last year or so.

Recently we've been playing Pathfinder with my son and a couple of his friends and just started a new campaign. I wrote a few paragraphs as a back story for my new character, then realized I could easily expand on it. I began to wonder about whether there were some guidelines or something for writing Pathfinder fiction and a Google search led me here.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 3:07 am 
Site Admin

Hi KM.

Well, in fact we are a bit quiet. Admittedly, I used to follow up every bit of posting and edited an insane amount of work the first three years at Pathfinder Chronicler.

But in the end, I came to the conclusion that in order to progress as a writer, I needed to put my future first in getting educated for a professional career, as I had not done so in the past.

This reorientation has significantly tied my hands over the past two and half years. You are arriving now at the tail end of my education. In less than four months I'll be moving and then doing my clinicals.

So, I'm not only changing my career, but I am also changing my location so I am closer to those that are in the RPG business (Seattle).

I put my writing higher than gaming though, but gaming is what I like to do for fun.

In roughly seven months from now, I'll be a Rad Tech and an MRI Tech, working in the Seattle area, playing and having fun with my many friends in the RPG business. At that time, this site will be getting all my attention.

This may seem like a wait and see kind of answer, but not really.

I'm interested.

Though I am not the kind of person that can handle floodgates of people, I do work much better one on one. When I mean one on one, I mean developing friendships and getting acquainted with someone that not only rekindles my fires but also is stimulated by my own. Over a long period of time, it becomes a relationship and something built on understanding and trust.

That is something I put the highest price on. You see, right now KM, we can really get an understanding going because we have the time to post, wait, think and then respond within a developing comfort level. This was not possible when we had some 10-15 people. It was more of a herd mentality really. I was spending more time editing and putting out fires than I was understanding the folks I was working with. In that kind of atmosphere, the people you work with can be feeling all sorts of things, but you'd never know they felt something that would later come and nip you in the butt. That is why, during this time, the people I meet now later become the people I would trust the most when opinions are needed that may be controversial or a "tough decision."

I guess what I am trying to say, I'm much more comfortable developing meaningful relationships.

I mean it, because there is a time when people are throwing their opinions around. At those times, the things that are said can get rather aggressive. So aggressive in fact, that I may have trouble even responding to what is happening, or even considering the ramifications if I respond. At those moments, it would be very reassuring to have someone I feel "close to," someone who sees beyond the pettiness and understands that this is not only drama, but perhaps an attempt to divide the group to get attention which tarnishes all the hard work you may have personally put in. At those times, you would remember the different times we spent working on your writing. The things that made you understand that I was there for you as you may have been there fore me. And then, instead of being like the rest and add your two cents to a pissing contest, you might abstain until sending me an email to let me know what is transpiring. Then, we could talk about it privately so we could strategize the best approach.

I would like a person who wishes to safeguard what we do here, so when a person speaks out against it, we all proceed with as much unity and solidarity as one would hope.

So here goes.

KM, I'm 45. I divorced my wife some two and a half years ago after she tried to corral me out of an education that I had waited four years for. I lost both my children in the divorce and have missed them since October 2012. I live with my dad in Elko NV. I went to school at Great Basin College and got straight A's and now hold a degree as a Radiology Technologist. I've attended every Paizo Convention the company has ever held. There are many on staff at Paizo that I consider friends. Some were hired in the last 2-3 years. I've met insiders that wanted to publish our Anthologies (but I had to refuse since this is technically a community use of Paizo Property), though they did leave the door open to me, for publishing other works.

I won't promise you anything but better writing and editing. Lots and lots of editing. I have no doubt if you came here and worked hard to make this place happen, older elements would return and try to take what they feel is their rightful seat.

Their seats are very dusty...

I hold the keys to this kingdom, and I try to be fair to all. I'll give you an example why.

I was in a group once. I made a bad post. I was doing what I was asked, but someone got a strange vibe from my post and thought it insulting when I meant it to be funny. I thought it was funny, someone else didn't.

They banned me from my own group I helped found. They didn't even give me a chance to apologize or even explain what I had done. I can tell you now, I cried like a baby that day. I could not get on the boards and that made me feel discarded and unappreciated.

I lost many friends that day.

I swore I'd never do that to anyone else. That said, we had some major rifts here, but I never censored or take away anyone's right to post. I had members begging me to do so, but that was a line I couldn't cross, mustn't cross. You see, I'm not so morbid to feel I earned the right to ban others since I was once banned myself. I saw that kind of behavior firsthand in the military. Uh-uh, that's not me.

In fact, I see everyone who comes here as a major part of this organization. Though I hold the keys (so I can't be banned by someone else), I have no desire to impose on others. The future of this site is not determined by what we did in the past, but rather by people who can imagine what we can do in the future. I never intended to be this organization's leader, but rather a small time groundskeeper that would get to write and edit (like the rest). Admittedly, the Anthologies took me away from my participation with the organization and after that, school.

So you tell me, what is it you want to be? What is it you feel you want to become?

Naturally I'll be here, waiting for your response.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 9:04 am 

Several years ago I was in the basement of the nursing home where I work, and my boss introduced me to an elderly, rather disheveled looking gentleman, saying, “This is Roger, he's a painter.”

My first thought was that he was there to paint the basement floor, a task which we had to do periodically. Turned out she meant painter in the artistic sense. I soon found out that his actual employment was as a chef. I guess we all have many identities.

I have been a grocery store clerk, factory worker (briefly), a US Army helicopter pilot, bartender, letter carrier, and Registered Nurse. Those are the things for which I received a regular paycheck. I'm still receiving a paycheck as a Registered Nurse, though I consider myself semi-retired from that, now working only two days a week.

I did not do particularly well in high school, my GPA being only slightly above average. I did however, get a short story published in the school's literary magazine. I always wanted to be a writer of some kind. It did not really matter what kind. Sportswriter, Science-fiction novelist, reporter, it did not matter. The first courses I took in college were journalism courses. I submitted stories and articles to magazines. Rejection slips don't put food on the table though, so I had to take paying jobs, putting writing on the back burner.

I kept writing, though mostly for my own amusement. I did check a little into self publishing, which back then involved paying to have physical copies of a book printed, then trying to market them yourself. There were companies set up to help you with doing this, but it still involved laying out the money for printing.

A couple years ago, I discovered that self publishing nowadays is quite different. Assuming one already has a computer and internet connection, self publishing on Amazon, costs not one penny. With the risk being nil, I have published two books so far, and am nearly ready with a third, with several others in various stages of completion. I haven't gotten rich, or received any movie offers, but I do get small monthly deposits to my bank account. I now describe myself as a writer.

Oddly (maybe), I sell more books on the United Kingdom Amazon site that I do on the US site. I have been corresponding with a British author (with a real publisher) who liked one of my books and has offered some suggestions and editing help with a sequel.

My wife and one son have done a bit of Pathfinder play with two of his friends. When we started a new campaign, I began writing a back story for my character. As sometimes happens, rather than me controlling the story and characters, they take control of me. Before I knew it I had 3,500 words and decided it might eventually be publishable. I decided that I should check to see if Paizo had either restrictions or guidelines for writing Paizo related fiction, and that Google search led me here.

There is nothing in the story that is directly Paizo, though I am trying to keep it Pathfinder consistent. It is still very much a work in progress and I think I can easily reach 15-20,000 words.

I will be checking back often.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 4:47 am 
Site Admin

I'm going to take this to a different post. I'll keep this part here but you will find a new post called writing and publishing. There I'll go into more detail as to what Pathfinder Chronicler can offer and perhaps see if it is worth your time. I can see you've gone in a very different direction than I did and perhaps this may not be the place for you.

Then again, it may be what you are looking for...all the same.

Offline Profile