Login | Register

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

It is currently Sat Feb 24, 2018 5:02 am

Post subject: Finally, I'm back
PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 11:01 am 
Site Admin

After a long stretch of my clinicals, graduation and finally a certification test, I'm done.

This was probably the worst thing that could have happened to Pathfinder Chronicler since the spammers hit the site.

It's over.

Steadily from here my workload will increase until I finish a second certification. This certification will also require me to move to Bellevue Washington. So by next March 2015 I'll be back in this same boat (with a move to boot).

That's ok though, because I'm moving to the place where everything happens with Pathfinder. I'll be able to see more of the Paizo folks and visit more conventions to peddle our reads.

That said, Volume IV is soon to be worked on and contact with the Authors begins quickly. My finances are completely shot but we are looking to run the contest again this year too. Our goal is to produce two books in the next year. We've done it before and we'll do it again.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Finally, I'm back
PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 5:37 pm 

Good to hear you have a little room to breathe before the next bout.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:00 pm 
Site Admin

Well, I've spent the last week doing nothing. Trying to figure out who I am. I'm about ready to start editing again.

Volume IV.

Still have a few loose ends to tie before we begin this undertaking. Such as where to find Nathan Verelliand see where we are with the ePub of Volume III. I can no longer reach him.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 4:16 pm 

Hope you had a great Paizocon!

Robert Gresham has been published six times in Wayfinder Magazine, twice for PFC, and a half-dozen times for Yahoo! He is the founder of Wayward Rogues Publishing, and was a guest editor on Rite Publishing's Coliseum Morpheuon fiction anthology.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:09 am 
Site Admin

The convention actually rejuvenated my enthusiasm for the subject. Quite honestly, I was exhausted for just about any task. It was nice to see readers that had devoured all our material and saying it was the best thing they had ever read.

There were some very high compliments this trip related to the anthologies from our readers. Some already had our books but believed in the concept so much that they donated again.

That said, I've decided to try something different with Volume IV.

In the past it has been me making judgment calls because I really wanted to be sure the quality was there on every page. Now I see that perhaps this is no longer my call to make, because really, we all need to feel a part of this project and I've been masterfully squelching everyone with my fear that something subpar would get through.

I am considering a new process of getting writers and editors aboard Pathfinder Chronicler. This would be a process of vetting editors to work on future Anthologies. I was a little surprised to be hit up by a Con-goer for an editing gig. She needed experience so she could get a job at Paizo, so she's willing to edit to build her accreditations up. There is also new writers every year at the contest which are born more from enthusiasm than a desire to get editing jobs.

I desire to build a new multi-tier editing group where everyone has a hand in creating the Anthologies. It might look like Wayfinder's team but really, I think we need to come up with a new system that works for our needs. I still want one person that makes all the calls when it comes to moving on or going back for more editing.

This person would not be me.

I think Laura makes a better candidate because...to be truthful, she puts things more softly as suggestions and gets better results. She also knows her grammar and can refine and define proper usage better than anyone Pathfinder Chronicler has ever seen. That said, she would be Editor in Chief. Such a role would mean her jumping into editing mode "one on one" with a writer would be taken away. She can't roll up her sleeves like that if she is to take in the big picture.

Going from there, I would like to say that at the convention I pursued the Paizo editors pretty hard when it came to what an editor actually is. They admitted, with grins, that at times they almost have to extend their own writing talents when it came to stories where the author was either subpar or just not making a compelling read. They also reserved final say on changes which required no final approval of the author.

This was an important discovery because it is the number one reason I totally dread editing. I have become even a tad phobic in fact. I must have spent some 400 hours developing some real great stories with other authors (which were onboard with everything we had done). When it came to one particular topic in their story though, they pulled out. It would have been nice to know from the get-go that the relationship was going to end like that.

So, let's just end this whole problem that I am an exclusive gatekeeper. From here on, I want to be a chief developer for our stories. Laura thinks that is where my strengths lie. I am an idea man. I come up with ideas that make the stories better from a story perspective. The big concept, if you will. That said, I'm more of a scarecrow on a stick pointing in directions. I'll read a story and then decide what the story is lacking. From there, I send my recommendations off to a developing editor whose job it is to craft the story into something magnificent. That of course would mean that the writing and the story would be on par with the work printed in the past...but without the past mistakes.

As chief editor, Laura would be the gatekeeper. She would know what it was that was recommended by me and then decide for herself if the story is ready. If she feels the story needs new ideas, she can always kick it back to me.

The cover of Anthology IV would plainly credit "The Editorial Team" and list all editors and positions in the inside.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 6:58 pm 

Welcome back everyone! :)

Paizocon was a wonderful, rejuvenating experience, as Ted has mentioned. We heard so many positive comments and spoke with many professional writers and Paizoans, gaining critical advice. I think, after this time off, we are ready to make Anthology IV a wonderful collaborative success!

I would be happy to act as Editor-in-Chief, leading a team of other Chronicler editors. However, I will also endeavor to edit stories as I am able, because, to be honest, I find the experience extremely rewarding. I also hope to stretch my writing talents and make a story contribution of my own, as well. :)

I would sincerely invite everyone interested to get involved in this new iteration of Chronicler Anthology. We are truly stronger together than we are alone and I know we can make this the best one yet!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:45 pm 

Yay :D

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 6:52 am 

I've often wished there was a way for anthology authors to get feedback or comments from readers on our stories... but I guess that's just the way it goes with physical media.

And maybe I should be careful what I wish for.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 3:13 pm 

I kind of wish there was a better way to get authors feedback, too. Perhaps there might be a better way to do comments on the site, or something... I wouldn't want to have author emails for contacts just floating around out there, that's for sure. Something to think on I suppose.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:07 pm 

I think this is a great idea.

Robert Gresham has been published six times in Wayfinder Magazine, twice for PFC, and a half-dozen times for Yahoo! He is the founder of Wayward Rogues Publishing, and was a guest editor on Rite Publishing's Coliseum Morpheuon fiction anthology.

Offline Profile